Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hurricane Ike

I knew Texas was affected by hurricanes, but I failed to make the connection between myself living in Texas and possibly being affected by a hurricane until tonight when my friend Kate called asking if I had bought bottled water and batteries for flashlights. And as I replied, "uh, no. have you?" I thought to myself hmmm...I do live in Texas, Texas is affected by hurricanes, and I may want to pay a little more attention to the news. With Randall being gone I guess I should put in the extra effort to make sure we (as in Penny and myself) have enough water/ready to eat food to last a day or so. And maybe tomorrow I should cook/eat some of that meat in our freezer just in case we lose power on Saturday. By the way Saturday is the day when big, bad hurricane Ike is supposed to strike. We don't live anywhere near the coast of Texas; it's a good 2 hours to Houston but apparently we could still get heavy rain and winds, and possibly tornadoes from the swirling wind patterns. So tomorrow afternoon after work I will be at Walmart buying batteries, an extra candle or two, and 2 gallons of water just in case, along with about 300 other people who weren't concerned enough to buy supplies days ahead of time. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a drop of rain as it hardly ever rains here even thought the meteorologists constantly have a 30-40% chance of rain in the forecast. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: